Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Shots :(

Shots. Yesterday was not a fun day to be a Mom. Henry had his two month appointment yesterday and that meant shots. I have been trying to prepare myself for this day for about a month now. I have heard different stories from friends about how it went with their kids and it always seems the same thing would happen. It was awful for everyone. More so for the mother normally. Steven was not able to come with me because he had to work. But my mother in law was able to come with me. I fed him a half hour before his appointment so that he wouldn't be too upset, hopefully. We got there and they weighed him, and got him ready. He now weighs 11 pounds, 12 ounces!! I have been worrying that he might be a little overweight, but turns out he is right where he should be. Such a good feeling to know that. At the appointment Henry was wide awake and smiley. It made me feel even worse for what was about to happen. He had to get three shots. 1 shot had three different medications in it, and the other two had one. He also had to get a vaccine drop in his mouth. I gave him some Tylenol right before. Nurse Kate came in to give the shots. I had to hold his shoulders and hands down and my mother in law held his legs down. The first shot went in and he was okay. After the needle got pulled out, he cried for just a second. Once the bandaid was on, he was fine. Now, the second one was a different story. She put that needle in and he let out a piercing scream! It pulled at my heart strings. I almost lost it then. But I just told myself that I needed to be strong for my son. It wouldn't do any good if we were both crying. After the second she hurried and did the third. Then I picked him up and held him close trying to make him feel better. He stopped crying about five minutes later and settled down into a sleep. I didn't cry, but man I had to hold it in. Once we got home he slept in the carseat for hours!! We woke him up and fed him. It was so sad. He couldn't move his legs. He is quite a squirmy guy and so it was very sad to see him not be able to move his legs. He was fairly fussy but I just felt bad. I would try and hold him close and he would just cry. It got to be where I was having a hard time holding him because I would almost loose it myself. I never want to see him in pain again! I know that I will it can't be avoided, but I hope I do better the next time at handling it. We gave him more Tylenol and he calmed right down. During the night he slept like he normally does. Today has been a FANTASTIC day!! His legs are swollen and bruised but they are looking better today. I haven't had to give him Tylenol all day and he has been one happy boy! :) Which makes me one happy Mommy!

No comments: