Once again it has been a while since I have posted. I finally have something to write about though so now is the perfect time to do it! We were able to take a ten day vacation and drive back home to Maple Valley, WA. It has been about two years since we were last home. We started planning this trip back in February. We had thought about flying but driving was less expensive. So we went that route. Here is how our trip went:
We left on Friday June 11 right after I got off work. Steven was awesome. He was able to get off work early and so he went home and packed up everything and got the house cleaned. We ended up getting out of town around 5:00pm. We drove for about seven hours and made it to Miles City, Montana. I was so excited because we were able to make it all the way to Dickinson on one tank of gas. We have one awesome car!
Saturday June 12: We woke up early to get a head start. We weren't sure if we would try and go all the way or not. It depended on how we were feeling. In particular Steven. I didn't want him to push himself trying to get there. It was a fun drive for the most part. Montana is just one big state. I was texting my Mom and my Mother-In-Law most of the trip. Keeping them updated on where we were and such. Even though we were on the road it still didn't feel like we were going home. After we reached Spokane we pretty much knew we were going to drive the rest of the way. It was awesome because driving to WA means that we gained two hours. Pretty sweet deal! Steven's Mom text me asking if we wanted to go to the church dance because she was going to be chaperoning there. I thought it was a fun idea. My little Sister and Brother were going to be there and so I would get to see them as well. It was so weird as we started getting closer to Maple Valley. I almost felt closed in because of all of the trees. I love the green but I am used to flatness. When we reached Maple Valley we drove to Steven's house. We pulled up and his Dad came outside to greet us. It was so awesome seeing him! We went inside and unloaded our things. Then we all got ready and drove over to the church. My little Brother was texting me asking me if I was for sure coming. (He is not a fan of the dances) We made it there and went inside. Steven's Mom saw us coming and met us in the entry way. She said that she was going to go and get my Sister and Brother. (Casey, and Kyle) I was waiting and then a tall boy came walking out and I froze. I thought 'no way, that cannot be Kyle!!'. Yet, it was. He has gotten so big! I still can't believe it when I think about it. He is no longer my 'little' Brother. We walked into the gym together and of couse the music was blaring and I was looking for Casey. The dance theme was a sock hop. So there was a bunch of kids on the stage and they were all voting on who had the craziest socks. Casey had the mic and was hosting it. She was so grown up too! And so beautiful! She saw me out of the corner of her eye and I was waving franticly at her. When she got done she came over and hung out with us. I had tears in my eyes. It hit me how hard it has been living so far away and missing out on them growing up. They wanted to interduce Steven and I to their friends. So deeper into the mob of kids we went. I felt so old because I thought the music was WAY to loud. We were with them for a while and then we wanted to get going so that we could go over to my parents house and say hello to my Mom and Step-Dad. It was already close to 10:00pm. Those of you how know us know that we do not stay up late. On our way out I saw my best friend Kira's Mom. We stopped to say hello and then chatted with her for a bit. I then saw saw Kira's little Brother Mark and I couldn't believe how much he has grown as well! The funny part is that most of the adults I recognized but noone else really. On our way out the door we ran into Kira's Dad! I just loved seeing people I know and getting to catch up with them. Finally we were able to make it out and get over to my parents house. We got there and my little Sister Teneal opened the door. She is so grown up too!! And so pretty! The dogs of course came running over to greet visitors and then I saw my Mom and My Step-Dad. Hugs all around and then we sat down and just talked. Teneal is so cute. She can talk and talk about the most random things but I just love her to pieces! I have been very worried about my Mom and so I didn't know what to expect when I saw her. She has lost most of her hair and so she was wearing a wig, but its not noticable. It looks like she got highlights. I still think that she is so beautiful. Steven was having a hard time staying awake and so we left after about an hour. We got back to Steven's house and finally caught up with Kristen (His Sister) and Brian (His Brother). It was so fun to be able to see them! As much as we had driven and then visited I think I should have been more tired but I was still awake. We stayed up a bit longer and then went to bed.
Sunday June 13: We got up early because we planned to go to both of our parents wards. My parents started at 9:00am and Steven's was at 11:00am. We met up with my family and it was so cool seeing famillies that I haven't seen in ages and how grown up they all are. So in our ward here in Grand Forks we are usually early. So we get asked to say opening and closing prayers fairly often. I was telling my Mom about how that always happens. Then a member of the bishopbric came up and welcomed me back and then asked if I would like to give the closing prayer! My mom laughed so hard and I couldn't help but say yes. Just my luck. All well. More blessings for me! :) It was an enjoyable meeting. At the end of it we met up with some famallies and chatted about life in GF. Then we had to get going so that we could get to Steven's parents ward on time. We made plans to go over to my family's house for lunch after our second meeting. Going to Steven's parents ward was even cooler! There were way more famillies that we recognized and so that was fun. Kristen ended up singing and Steven's Mom accompined her. They did an awesome job! After the meeting we went right over to my parents house. My Mom already had a chineese pot roast in the crock pot and we had plans to eat dinner at Steven's parents house. We had a little of the roast but not too much. We didn't want to fill up. We played a few games. Mad Gab (My fav!!) and a new game called 'It Came To Pass'. I am now addicted to that game. We played it several times over the course of our trip. We went back to Steven's house and had the most awesome Ham dinner I have ever had! It was delicious! Kristen and Mom J left to go to Seminary Graduation. Steven, Brian and I stayed home and just hung out. We got a call from Dad J asking us to come to the church for Seminary Graduation. So we went. It was fun to see kids that I used to babysit graduating. I was able to talk with more people that we knew. I was amazed at how everyone asked about my Mom. How they would ask what they could do to help. It always amazes me at how people are ready to jump in and help. After the graudation we went back to Steven's house and just hung out.
They still decided that we were going to go and make the best of the trip. It was about a two hour drive. We took two cars because not all of us would fit into one. We had Brian with us in our car and then Mom and Dad J and Kristen were in their car. The drive went smoothly and we made it to Westport. We stayed in an awesome room! Right after we got there we went down to the beach. It was pretty cold. I had a good time. We skipped rocks which Dad J rocks at!! Then I went and sat down on a log and his family came over and they started building a sculpture. It was fun to watch them. We evenutally went back up to our hotel room. On the way back we played shadow games and tag. Then Mom J climbed a tree along with Brian. Then Dad J. The tree was perfect for climbing but some of the branches were small. When we got back up to the room we ate dinner and then watched some TV. Then we all got in our swim suits and went down to the pool. I had so much fun swimming!! Something about the water just makes me feel refreshed. It was fun and we had the pool to ourselves which made it even cooler! We got back to the room and then all got bundled up and went back down to the beach. The boys built a bonfire and we roasted marshmellows and had smores. (Yum!!) This was one of my favorite parts of the whole trip. I was SUPER bundled so I wouldn't be cold. We had the waves in the backround the fire and then there were fireworks off in the distance. And being surrounded by family was awesome. It started to rain so we packed up and headed back. Once back in our room Steven started a fire with the log in the fire place. It didn't get very big but thats alright.
Tuesday June 15: Today we went into the town of Westport. We walked down by all of the boats looking for the one that they boys were supposed to be taking out to go fishing. We found it. We walked past all of the little shops and it was just fun to be outdoors. We walked over by where a big wall of rocks was and climbed up them to see the water right on the other side. We saw some live starfish, which was awesome! After walking around for a while we got in the car and drove to Ocean Shores. While there we got some Fish and Chips and then went down to the beach. This time we were able to drive our car on the beach. Steven was worried because if we stopped, our car probably would have gotten stuck. We were able to make it across no problem. We then headed home. On our way we ran into major thunderstorms. Usually when it rains in WA there isn't thunder and lightning but this time there was and the rain was pouring down. Mom J asked if we were interested in seeing a movie. We said yes. They went and got tickets for Robin Hood. Meanwhile, the three of us went to the Supermall. We left Brian to shop on his own and Steven and I went around the mall. We were able to cruise through it. There wasn't really anything that held my interest. Robin Hood was a good movie. A little too action packed for my liking but good none the less. After the movie we went back to Steven's house. By the time we got back it was late so we just went to bed.
Wednesday June 16: We woke up and packed up our things to move over to my parents house. We got there and it was just so nice to be there and hang out with them. My Mom needed to go grocerey shopping and she gets tired easily and so I went with her. It was great getting to spend that one on one time with her. We got home and unloaded the groceries. Steven had stayed at my parents house and played video games. I know it made his day to have someone to play video games with that could play for hours on end. P.S. My mom colored my hair today! She did an excellent job.
Thursday June 17: Today we had a girls day! My Mom, Casey, Teneal and myself spent the day shopping. It was so fun to hang out with my girls and go shopping. I was able to buy some new outfits and we just had a good time. We got home and we had made plans for the whole family to go out to Red Robin for dinner. We got there and there were some friends of ours from church there. It was fun to see them. We ate the most delicious meal and then it was time to go home.
Friday June 18: Today was our last day. The boys, Steven Kyle and My Step-Dad had a boys day. First, My mom, Steven My Step-Dad, and myself went to the Seattle Temple. Steven's Mom was able to join us and that made it even better! The Temple was so awesome. It's hard for us to go often because the closest Temple to us is in Bismark. After the Temple all of the boys went bowling. Meanwhile, My Mom Casey and I stayed at home and played It Came To Pass. Teneal was at play practice. We wanted to get to bed early so that we would be well rested for the drive but that didn't happen. Steven and I were packing things up but finally we were able to go to bed. We also took some family pictures today. And jumped on the trampoline! I do have to say, jumping on the trampoline as a kid and an adult is so different! Its more of a rush when your older I have to say. I enjoyed it all the same!
Saturday June 19: We woke up really early and finished packing everything up and got it loaded in the car. My Mom got up and woke the kids up to say goodbye. I felt bad because it was so early. It was hard saying goodbye. We got in the car and went to Steven's house. Mom J woke up the rest of the family and they came to say goodbye. It was hard leaving them. We got on the road at a good time. Steven drove the entire way back. We went from Maple Valley, all the way to Miles City Montana. We lost an hour on the way back. We stayed the night and then got up early once again to finish the drive home.
Sunday June 20:We got back to Grand Forks around 4:30pm. We unpacked everything and got all settled back in. It was so good to be back home. I was especially excited about sleeping in my own bed!
Well, that was our trip. Here are some pics from our trip. I forgot our camera when we went to the beach but Brian took some pics so I will have to get those from him and then I can post them! Enjoy!!
We had so much fun!

3 comments:
It sounds like you had a ton of fun. Glad you were able to go and spend so much time with family.
Glad you had so much fun on your trip! I loved hearing some details!
Look like you guys had a ton of fun!! I love visiting home, too!
PS..Elliot and I got engaged in Westport on the beach. One of my favorite places :)
Post a Comment