Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, July 14, 2011

My labor and delivery story

I have not posted again in quite a long time but I have a few minutes now and so I am going to try and get some done. Life has become pretty crazy lately! Lets start back about a week ago last Thursday. Everything was fine that day and I was getting ready for my last day of work. I was looking forward to my last day of work being Friday, and having my Mom and sister Teneal come on Saturday. Thursday night I woke up to use the bathroom and I had a little blood... it freaked me out. I went and woke up Steven and we pulled out our what to expect book to see what was going on. It mentioned that this could be the mucus plug coming out and so we figured that's what happened. The next morning I called my doctor and he confirmed that yes, that was more than likely what happened, but that it was nothing to worry about because labor was still about a week away. He had checked me the previous day and I was still only at a 1. So Friday I went to work 9-5. While at work I was constantly feeling wet. It drove me nuts! It wasn't as bad when I was sitting down, so I tried to stay in my chair as best I could. Around 1 in the afternoon I got up from my chair and the chair was all wet. I had no idea what was going on! I was working with my friend Carley and so I talked with her about it and we agreed that I should call the hospital. I called my Mom first and she said it sounded like my water broke. As I was talking with her she was saying how she wasn't prepared to come early but that she would try and catch a flight and be there. I wasn't sure that my water broke and so I wasn't convinced that she needed to come early. After talking with her I called my doctor. I spoke with a nurse who told me she would have to call me back because my doctor was in with someone else. I got a call back a little bit later and the nurse said that I needed to get to the hospital right away and that yes it sounded like my water had broken. I was so weirded out! I had always heard that when your water breaks there is a huge gush of water. Well, Steven was at work and I had to pick him up before going to the hospital. I left work and drove to get Steven. While driving there I called my Mom back and my sister talked to me the whole car ride trying to help me stay calm. Before I left work I called and had my backup person come in to cover the rest of my shift. After picking up Steven I drove us home. He swears that I almost killed us about five times, but I was just trying to get home. I had so much going through my head! We hadn't even packed an overnight bag! I was waiting for my Mom to come to help us with that. We are such slackers! I called our friend Alicia who lives about two doors down. She has two kids and her last one about two weeks ago. I asked if she could meet us at our house and help us pack a bag. I was so lucky that she was home and that she said yes! Alicia was very helpful in getting things packed up. I was so nervous. I didn't know what to expect. We got to the hospital about three and went right up to labor and delivery. They already had a room ready for us. I got into hospital attire and I met my nurse and a doctor came in. I got hooked up to all of the machines. They checked me and I was at about a 1 and a half and having contractions every two minutes. They would ask me couldn't I feel them? Well, no! I have never had a baby before I don't know what contractions feel like! I was then told that I was not going home. Like it or not, I was in labor! Lucky for us there was a Harry Potter marathon on and so that helped time to go by. Steven was awesome. Talk about a mad texter. He started a list of about 20+ people that he was keeping updated. Plus we were keeping tabs on my Mom and sister coming. They were able to catch an early flight and said they would be there around 11:30pm. After laying in the bed for a while I started to really feel the contractions. For some reason laying down seemed to make me feel them more. I was feeling very nervous about the epidural and having to deliver. Carley came and visited with Steven and I for a while. 11:30pm came and went and Alicia and her husband Chris were so awesome and went and picked up my Mom and Teneal from the airport. By the time my Mom got there around midnight and came into the room, I lost it. I started crying. I haven't seen her in almost two years and it was very emotional seeing her there. Then they stepped out so I could be checked. While being checked it hurt so bad I started to cry. I was at a 2 and my cervix was still way in the back. They did not want to give me an epidural before I got to a 4, but because of how much pain I was in they had it ordered. I got the epidural around 12:30pm. There was some worry that the epidural was not going to work because I had scoliosis. They did it anyway. I then layed back down and could start to feel my legs going numb. I could still feel my toes. Very weird feeling. The doctors and nurses came back in and shut off the lights. We were all really tired. My Mom and Teneal slept in the lounge and Steven on a pull out bed next to me.



Around 3-4am my contractions were getting very intense. I wasn't feeling pain, but a lot of pressure in the contractions. The nurse checked me again around 6am and I was at a 5. The doctor on call kept checking with me and he told me the way things were going I probably wasn't going to have this baby before noon. The contractions were picking up and it was getting really hard. The nurse came back in around 7 to check me again. She came back because my Mom told her how much pain I was in and maybe things were moving along faster. She checked me around 7am and I was dilated to a 9+. The she said, alright lets have a baby! I had the shakes really really bad. I couldn't control them. A bunch of nurses came in getting the room ready and they paged the doctor. Then they had me start pushing. I thought it would bring relief to push, but it was so hard! I got tried very quickly. At one point I just wanted to tell them to vacuum this baby out, it was hurting so bad I couldn't do it anymore. I had an awesome nurse, Erin and she was really good at getting in my face and helping me push through the contractions. I pushed for a little less than an hour and then at 7:58am 07/09/2011 we had our baby! And, shocker of our lives, a baby BOY!! Yes, thats right. He came out and Erin said 'ummm.. Baby Madelyn is a boy!'. Steven and I looked at eachother and couldn't believe what had just happened!! They brought him right up and put him on my chest and I got a really good look at him. He was crying and then he opened his eyes and looked right at me! My heart melted. I loved this little boy more than words already.




It was quite the shock! The doctors and nurses started re-asking us, weren't we supposed to be having a girl? Erin went out and told my Mom that everything went great. She didn't tell my Mom however that she had a grandSON and not granddaughter! I had a small tear but they were able to sew it up quickly. Then they went to get my Mom and Teneal. The nurses and doctors hung out to see their reaction. My Mom walked in and I said 'Well, Mom... meet your grandson!!' Her jaw dropped! She was shocked. I then asked if that was okay. I mean, I wasn't sure if this little boy would be loved after all the hype we had for a little girl! My Mom laughed and said of course I love him! Here are some pictures of the proud Grandma Jane, and Aunt Teneal!

We kept getting asked if we had a name, and no we didn't. So our poor little guy was nameless and clothless for the first about day and a half of his life. He weighed 6 pounds, 3.6 oz and was 20 inches long. He came out with a natural circumcision. Thats pretty rare, but nice! I won't complain! 


He is a clone of his daddy!! He kept making a pouty face that Steven makes sometimes and so we had Steven make the face and our baby boy made it right back at him! Precious! Here are some other fun pictures we took! :)







The sign on our door was used for one of my baby showers. It said: Its a girl!' but my friends added 'NOT' We had it up and we got all sorts of visitors coming in and asking what the story was. The nurses took a picture and put it up in the nurses station! We were able to pick a name, and so he is:

                                                               Henry Arthur Jacobson

We have loved having him around! I will admit there have been a few rough nights. Bu I look into this boys little eyes, and I just love him so much. We are so thankful we have been blessed with this beautiful little boy. Here are some pictures I took of him earlier today. He gets cuter everyday!!


                                                                       Five days old!
P.S. We have exchanged almost everything pink that we had! My mom and Teneal have been so awesome going out and exchanging things. Yesterday I was able to join them for the afternoon and man, it was hard work going from store to store to store! He is still one styling boy! :) :) Also, he was about one week early. Forgot to mention!

6 comments:

Jess Syverson said...

Love the pic with Henry and the teddy bear. It's almost as big as he is! :)

Steven and Chelsea said...

These are great pictures!! He is so cute! You two make a cute baby!!

Keilah Palmer said...

I LOVE reading labor/delivery stories. Yours is GREAT. Good job Melinda!

Natalie Smith said...

You survived. He is precious...I cant believe you had a boy. That shower sign is a hoot. Great story. So many of the details I have expereinced. Hope recovery continues to go well and baby Henry lets you guys get some sleep...

Jakenaddie said...

What a wonderful story! So very happy that it was a successful and healthy labor and delivery! He is so precious! Enjoy each moment, before you know it, he will be huge! They grow too fast

Julie said...

Wow, what a shock to have a boy after expecting a girl. I'm sure you wouldn't wish it any other way now that he is here.

I'm so happy for you!